Did you know that men are 24% less likely than women to visit a doctor for routine care? Men, not unlike women, should take care of their health during all life stages. It may be uncomfortable to discuss prostrate, erectile dysfunction, or infertility issues with your physician, however it is in your best interest to be honest. These conditions impact your overall health and affect your sex life, relationships, and emotional health.
Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) can help you reach your best health.
The following are men’s conditions that can be aided through acupuncture:
• Prostatitis is inflammation of the prostate, causing pelvic pain and urinary symptoms. Prostatitis has unknown causes, and therefore, can be difficult to treat. Symptoms include pain or burning when urinating, pain in the pelvic area and lower back, and a frequent need to urinate. Studies have shown that herbal therapies and acupuncture are effective in relieving chronic bacterial prostatitis.
• Prostate cancer affects roughly 1 in 6 men in the United States. It is suggested that all men over age 50 get yearly screenings, as the disease responds well to treatment when caught early. Symptoms can include lower back or hip pain, blood in the urine or semen, and urinary problems. TCM and acupuncture can relieve the side effects and boost the health of men with prostate cancer.
• Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) occurs when the prostrate compresses the urethra. It is a very common concern and affects about 50% of men over 60. Symptoms may include difficulty starting to urinate, slowness of the urinary system, frequent urination, and the need to urinate in the middle of the night. Common treatments include medication, self-care techniques, and surgery. Acupuncture supports overall urinary system health and can help restore and rebalance.
• Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is a condition that occurs in most men at some point in their lives; however, ongoing problems may indicate a more serious issue. Causes of ED include diabetes, clogged blood vessels, and heart disease, as well as medications, anxiety, depression, and stress. Treatments include medications, medical devices, and surgery. The benefit of acupuncture is that it can boost a man’s sexual stamina.
• Infertility usually occurs in men because of poor quality or movement or a low concentration of sperm. Acupuncture has been shown in conjunction with Western medicine to improve sperm quality and production and increase the chance of success. Acupuncture and TCM also may help both the man and woman handle the emotional stress when having difficulty conceiving.
• Male depression can manifest itself through feelings of irritability, frustration, fatigue, loss of interest in work and social life, and sleep disturbances. Stress and anxiety can be reduced and the mind and body calmed through acupuncture.
• Male menopause (MM), also known as androgen decline, includes symptoms such as mood changes, depression, sexual problems, and fatigue. Herbal therapy and acupuncture can help men as they age and alleviate signs of MM.
What can you expect during your treatment?
Your practitioner will note your health history and perform an exam to determine the cause of your health concerns. A treatment plan will be designed for you to restore your body to its natural balance.
Fine, sterile needles will be inserted at specific points of the body during treatment to restore the balance of energy. In addition to acupuncture, your practitioner may include nutritional and herbal remedies in your treatment plan.
© 2012 Deborah Farley, L.Ac, CHHC, DOM